Content is important. But do you know what’s just as important? Blog post titles!
Think about it. Titles are what make your very first impression. And a catchy blog post title piques people’s interest and they end up clicking through to your site.
This boosts your traffic. Because nobody wants to read boring content. So if your title is boring – nobody will read it.
Besides making a good first impression, titles are essential because they help you with your SEO! Based on how you write your blog post title, you could potentially end up in a nice spot in Google Search for your keyword.
When I first started my blog, I had no clue how to craft creative titles. I didn’t realize just how truly important they were, to be honest! But they do matter.
Why Blog Post Titles Matter
A title isn’t just a title. Your blog post title can easily be the difference between tons of shares, views, and comments and crickets.
A powerful, clickable title is what makes your post get seen. Otherwise, it would’ve gone unnoticed and people would’ve just scrolled past it. It doesn’t matter how good the actual post is. If the title sucks, people will skip over it. That’s why it’s essential to be creative and entertaining when writing yours.
They also help you rank better on search engines, especially when you get more specific about what you’re writing about and for who.
Elements of a Clickable Blog Post Title
Let’s look at the elements that make up a clickable blog post title:
- Attention-grabbing: It needs to grab someone’s attention and make them wonder what the post is all about. It should make them stop in their tracks no matter where they see it – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, etc.
- Use numbers or lists: This is not a strict rule. I obviously didn’t use a number in my title for the post so don’t take it to heart! But it has been shown that blog post titles with numbers, like lists (or listicles) perform better. For some reason, people just love lists! Try to work in some numbers into your title if you can like “10 reasons why…”
- Emotional: Your title should have some type of emotion to it. Using powerful, emotional words can elicit curiosity in your readers.
- Use keywords: You definitely want to rank in search engines so you must use relevant keywords to get found! Using them in your title helps readers clearly understand what the post is about.
- Short & to the point: Don’t get too wordy. Be short and concise. Try to say what you want to say in fewer words. A good rule of thumb is to keep it under 70 characters.
- Creativity: Don’t be afraid to get creative! Show off your personality and be unique. Use your voice!
- Avoid clickbait: Last but not least, DO NOT write clickbait-y titles. It will upset your readers and make them distrust you especially if you mislead them by writing crazy, overly attention-seeking blog post titles.
- Related: How To Make Money Blogging in 2019
The Headline Analyzer Tool
Writing blog post titles isn’t always easy! I do play around with a handful of titles before I decide on the final one.
My absolute favorite tool to use when titling my posts is the Headline Analyzer Tool by Coschedule. It’s an awesome tool because you can type in a title you’re thinking of using and the tool will analyze it and tell you how you can better it.
So for example, with this blog post title, it tells me a headline score (I like to keep it in the green – if it’s in the red, that means it could be improved!).
It also tells me about the word balance. It analyzes your headline based on the overall structure, grammar and readability. It tells you how many words are common, uncommon, emotional and powerful.
I’ve always struggled with figuring out how to use emotional, powerful words in my titles. Luckily, Coschedule has a really awesome resource for this. They offer a freebie of a list of words you can incorporate into your titles.
I literally do not even post blogs without checking the titles through the headline analyzer! It’s so helpful and I wish I heard learned about it sooner.
There are two kinds of blog post titles that are the most effective and popular types out there. They are proven to bring in clicks! And that is the how-to and list posts. The first one is a how-to which is pretty self-explanatory. It’s a post where you teach someone something — basically “How To…” AKA this post!
And the second one is a list type, which is where you compile several tips, strategies, products, facts, etc. into a list. Much like this example below:
Playing With Titles On Pinterest
One more thing I do want to go over with you when it comes to blog post titles is tweaking them for Pinterest. If you’re marketing your blog content on Pinterest then you know you need to create various pin graphics per post.
Here’s where you can get creative. You don’t need to create all of your pins using the same exact title on them. Play around with different variations of the title and share them on Pinterest. It’s a great way to do A/B split testing and seeing which title performs best.
Change up the wording so that you can capture the attention of different people in your audience. I try to do this with all my blog posts and have even done it for this one (example below!)
Test it out and don’t be afraid to think outside of the box. Your blog post title is just as important as any other aspect of your post so don’t neglect it. It can definitely help you out in the long run.